POEM: Gas Station Coffee


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



by Rosana Garcia

2 creamers (amaretto, hazelnut, vanilla--whichever one I hate the least today),
a long pour of sugar, coffee to the top, quick stir. This is what I have time for,
these days--no espresso with milk, no fancy baristas foaming the top, no caramel
or mocha. No slow wake up at the kitchen table. Six-thirty am only means I'm
already running late. My journal lies fatally unopened for days. This is how dreams
die: first, falling into coma, then a slow, painful death, but I'm not planning a funeral
or preparing food for a wake. I'm a miracle worker on a schedule, but I've penciled
myself in for raising the dead. The journal will open, the words will flow (20 pages
of crap, 1 page of startling genius, a permanent ratio, a constant for a writer's
equation). My voice is only quiet, on sabbatical, on a journey who's return will be
heralded with the fantastic places we've been, without me. Somewhere in the deep
parts, a world is being built, characters are birthed, like Athena, fully formed, battle
ready, with convictions and opinions. I buy a bottle of water, a Harvest bar, beef
jerky, for the day and only want to return to the kitchen table, to the laptop
that has only seen work, not words, to the part of me that would never cut corners
or convince me that this shitty excuse for coffee will do. None of this will do.

(c) 2007 understar productions and Rosana Garcia


0 Responses to “POEM: Gas Station Coffee”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Starry Saltwater Rose
  • From New Haven, Connecticut, United States
  • My profile

Poetry


Dreams Series
My Body Speaks
Happy Moment on a Sad Friday
Gas Station Coffee
Unravel
Homesick (Puerto Rican Man)
Mabon
Looking for Safety
Oxycontin
Saxophone into the Almost Summer
Sorceress
Water Dreams
More (for Lenny)
The Little That I Get
For the Spring Season

Stories

Plays


8 Pomegranate Seeds
I'll Guard the Door

Essays

Projects


Citywide Open Studios 2007

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3