POEM: The Happy Moment on a Sad Friday


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



by Rosana Garcia

We were drinking in the name of her sadness, her anger,
her broken heart, sharing stories of male faults and failures.

But the song came, familiar, rhythmic, pulsing
in Spanish, a painful bittersweet jolt from the past,
from the island of my birth. The tears well in my
heart: the only thing to do is sweat them in dance.

I took his hand, led him out onto the circle of space
that appeared in this tiny, hip, American martini lounge
decorated with skinny, pretty, slim-jean wearing women
and attractive men, immaculately groomed, on the hunt.

He shouldn't have known how to lead, spin, hold, move.
In my slight fuzziness, my feet remembered everything
I ever learned at my abuela's parties in the mountains,
the hip sway, fancy footwork, and letting him lead.

I lost all my fear, all my worry, in the swirl
of the merengue beat that my hips know like
the taste of guava and mangoes, like the scent
of salt air, the sound of the wind in the palms.

So sweet, the way he stayed inside my fantasy
for awhile, let me, a stranger, pull him into
my homesick dance, my nostalgia moment,
my guilty pleasure, my escape from

Her eyes are bleary, her smile and mind plastered. Later,
she'll go home to her man, they'll kiss, they'll scream,
and she won't remember calling in the middle of the night.

(c) 2007 understar productions and Rosana Garcia


0 Responses to “POEM: The Happy Moment on a Sad Friday”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Starry Saltwater Rose
  • From New Haven, Connecticut, United States
  • My profile

Poetry


Dreams Series
My Body Speaks
Happy Moment on a Sad Friday
Gas Station Coffee
Unravel
Homesick (Puerto Rican Man)
Mabon
Looking for Safety
Oxycontin
Saxophone into the Almost Summer
Sorceress
Water Dreams
More (for Lenny)
The Little That I Get
For the Spring Season

Stories

Plays


8 Pomegranate Seeds
I'll Guard the Door

Essays

Projects


Citywide Open Studios 2007

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3